Dearest high schoolers, contrary to popular belief, college is not necessary anymore. It will ruin 25 years of your life: 4 years attending classes, and 21 years being in debt because of loans. A mixture of real life experience and who-you-know, is all you need. Have a direction and don’t go to college. Go intern, apprentice, work in the real world. Don’t go to college. You’ll pay a lot of money to have your dreams shot down by people who had their dreams shot down. Don’t go to college. Do you, be you, figure it out on your own. Don’t go to college.
INTENSITY OF EMOTION TIED TO PERCEPTION AND THINKING
"EMOTIONAL intensity, a major, lifelong aspect of temperament, is emerging as a fruitful area of research that is yielding rich insights into how people experience themselves and others. Although the idea that people differ in emotional intensity is not new, the systematic new research is revealing important differences in the way that those with high and low intensity perceive, think about and react to events.
Some people, psychologists are observing, find themselves in emotional tumult even in reaction to mundane events, while others remain unperturbed under the most trying of circumstances. These levels of feeling characterize a person’s entire emotional life: those with the deepest lows also have the loftiest highs, the research shows. And differences between people seem to emerge early in childhood, if not from birth, and remain a major mark of character throughout life.
Those who live lives of deep emotional intensity, researchers have found, seem to have a more complex sense of themselves and lead lives that are more complicated than do those whose emotions are less strong.”
- DANIEL GOLEMAN “INTENSITY OF EMOTION TIED TO PERCEPTION AND THINKING”, New York Times, Published: March 17, 1987
1. Do not kill yourself. Killing yourself is very messy and your mother will cry over you. It is not beautiful or brave, and even if it was, you will not be around to see that.
2. Washing your hair is going to be a chore. But you should do it anyway. Because you will feel better about yourself.
3. Get up late. Have a lay in. Sleep past your alarm. You have a very long life ahead of you and for now you should appreciate the cold side of your pillow.
4. He is going to break your heart but he’s just another male human who finds it hard to deal with Mondays, too. So in a month you’ll wake up and you won’t even remember that little scar on his knuckle you kissed.
5. Don’t spend hours looking up what your name means on google. Your name is your name and you should go out there and do heroic and good deeds and give your name your own meaning.
6. Don’t fight your demons. Your demons are here to teach you lessons. Sit down with your demons and have a drink and a chat and learn their names and talk about the burns on their fingers and scratches on their ankles. Some of them are very nice.
7. Music is good for your soul. Rap music will energise you and boost your ego and pop music will cheer you up. Indie music will make you think and emotional songs will make you cry and think about that boy again. It’s healthy.
8. Victim complexes are not attractive. Boys and girls will not date you because you are sad. They are not going to date you and kiss your aching bones and cure you of your dragging depression. Wake up. Take a bath. Do your hair. Be attractive.
9. Sadness is not poetic. Depression is not beautiful. Laying in bed all day and eating too much is lazy and disgusting and it is not tragic or pretty. Get up. Go outside. Let the sun warm your bones. Live.
10. If it makes you happy, buy twenty of it. Dedicate your life to it. Print it on tv shirts and collect things and draw art of it. Do not care what people think. They are the unhappy people you need to avoid. The abuse they will hurl at you is painless compared to how sad they are. Pity them. Remain happy.
11. You are allowed to he angry. But the world is not working against you. The flowers do not bloom for you and when your mother shouts ask her if she is okay instead of thinking she hates you. She never will. The world walks beside you and is silent. It does not trip you up or carry you.
12. Day and night cycles are natural. Humans only sleep at night because we used to avoid predators in the dark because of our poor eyesight. Stay awake until 5am watching bad reality shows. Wake up at 7pm and have breakfast.
13. Eat when you are hungry. Being bored does not constitute a chocolate bar. Sleep when* you are tired. Do not mindlessly obey the sleep at night rule. If you are not tired, do not sleep.
Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do what makes you happy. Dream. Follow your dreams heart first, head second. Abandon fear. It is an illusion and the great destroyer. Now is all you have, and it’s the most precious gift you’ve ever received. Now has no judgements: It is whatever you want it to be. Be different. There is no one on Earth and has never been anyone on Earth quite like you. Smile even when you are hurting. Be kind even when it is hard. The lessons that kindness teaches you when you are in pain are some of the greatest you’ll ever learn, and you cannot learn them in a classroom. Breathe. Remember that your heart pumps, your wounds heal and your skin sheds without you even having to think, so appreciate the processes your body goes through that keep you alive. There will be some day you will be taking your last breath. Learn your body, treat it well and listen to it: it knows you better than any doctor does. Have fun: there is a lot of time in life to be serious and a lot of serious things going on in the World. Appreciate the big things and take joy in the little ones. Anyone can invent a reason to be miserable: it is your duty to invent a reason to smile. Create. Lead a project. Approach your friends with an idea. Make something today, tomorrow and every day, so that before you go to bed you can say “ I changed the World today.“ Keep your real friends close, and don’t get too caught up in how many Followers you have or how many Likes you get. I doubt you’ll be counting instagram notes for your self worth on your last days. Be grateful to your family: whether you are in conflict or as thick as thieves, they have shaped who you are and brought you into the World and they deserve your heart.
Dance. Take pleasure in music and sounds and the capabilities of your limbs, your internal rhythms and your own healing process. Dancing is one of the truest ways to learn your body. Sing. Sing even if you’re terrible: sing especially when no one can hear you. Singing is a special process that the soul goes through to heal, and it’s important for you even if you think you’re bad at it. Acknowledge your faults: it is your first step to lasting change. Envision your life. Imagine what you want, the outcome you desire and who you aspire to be. Do this every moment that you can in every day, especially at your weakest moments. Be honest. You really only get one chance at it, and your heart will thank you. Read. Every problem you have ever faced has already been solved between the pages of a good book.
Travel. The idea that you need a lot of money to do this is a myth. Get out and see the World, explore, get lost, abandon old ideas and see new places. A walk around the block can bring new insight to your whole life. There is nothing else on earth that will change you like travel does, and I don’t know of anyone who has ever traveled and regretted it. Love the people who put you down, who make fun of you, who irritate you, who hate on you: they are your greatest ally, for they will see things in you that you may never see in yourself, and they are being honest with you about who you do not want to become with every cruel word. Remember: acting out is a form of mental and spiritual regression. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.
Most importantly, I think?
Believe: believe even though you cannot see, believe even when it isn’t clear to you, believe especially when it seems absolutely impossible. Never doubt the power that you have, never let self-doubt sneak up on you, never let people tell you that your hobbies cannot be your dream job or that you cannot be and look like and have exactly what you want to.
You are no different than the Saints, and you’re made up of the stars.